TYPES OF SUNGLASSES
Julbo focuses on delivering premium quality in 3 main styles of sunglasses:
- Performance/Sport: Built for speed, whether it comes in the form of ripping trail or roads on your bike, running or nordic skiing, these glasses will have you covered. Shop Performance
- Glacier/Mountain: Designed to withstand the brutal conditions of high alpine terrain and the intensified sun’s UV rays reflecting off the snow, these lenses and frames will hold up to the test. Shop Mountain
- Lifestyle: Mixing style and performance for the ultimate package. Perfect for kicking back at the apres ski scene or taking them with you on your next adventure, these glasses will have you looking stylish. Shop Lifestyle
- Kids Sunglasses: Kids are especially vulnerable to UV rays and require smaller sunglass frames. Shop Kids
Photochromic lenses automatically adjust to changing light intensities to protect you in a wider range of conditions. These lenses react with the sun's UV rays to get darker when the sun is shining bright, and lighter when the lighting conditions get darker. Shop REACTIV
ABOUT JULBO'S INDUSTRY LEADING REACTIV PHOTOCHROMIC LENS TECHNOLOGY
- Julbo's REACTIV photochromic lenses have the widest photochromic range in industry and fastest transition time
- REACTIV lenses are non-temperature sensitive, meaning they will transition in the coldest and hottest weather
- REACTIV lenses are made from Trivex, an extremely durable and scratch resistant material that provides premium optics
- REACTIV photochromic technology is baked into the lens, so it never wears off
- Every Julbo lens is backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY!
- REACTIV lenses provide the best protection and block out 100% of UV A, B, and C.
- REACTIV lenses come with an Anti-fog coating
Learn more about REACTIV Photochromic technology
Polarization provides the highest sun protection by blocking out the majority of glare. Contrast is improved and colors are amplified for accurate vision even in bright sunlight.
When light reflects off flat surfaces such as water, snow, glass, sand or pavement, it is reflected perpendicular to that surface. This reflective glare is very intense and has the potential to cause increased eye irritation, eye fatigue and restricted vision. Polarized lenses are perfect for water sports, cycling and driving where there tends to be a high degree of reflective glare. Shop Polarized
A Julbo exclusive technology that offers a low polarization filter to eliminate 79% of glare in sunny weather. Its anti-glare feature reduces eye strain and fatigue providing optimal viewing for any activity.
Julbo’s Glare control lenses reduce enough glare so vision is not impared and reduce eye irritation, but allow for a small amount of glare to show ice and dangerous terrain. Glare Control also helps diffuse light in clouds which makes it easier to see in foggy conditions.
Due to only being semi-polarized, Glare Control lenses do not distort cell phone or computer screens, so you can view your phone, navigation screen, or GoPro clearly.
Julbo offers 4 categories of Spectron lenses. These lenses are made of a polycarbonate material and are great multipurpose for any performance sport or leisure activity. Read more on Spectron Lenses in our article called Spectron Lens: 3 Things you need to know. Shop Spectron
Found in the Julbo Cham, the Alti Arc is a mineral glass that features a dark tint (similar to the Spectron 4), supreme clearity and a reflective coating on the outside. Alti Arc material is used in the mountaineering glacier sun lenses for its ability to handle and protect your eyes from the harsh alpine conditions and the strong glare from the snow.
Julbo’s REACTIV photochromic lenses are made from Trivex, which is a premium and high performance hybrid of mineral glass and polycarbonate. It is lightweight, provides high quality optics, and is extremely durable. Both trivex and polycarbonate are so strong, they are used as components in the windshield material for fighter jets.
Julbo’s Spectron lenses are made from polycarbonate, which is durable, light and highly scratch resistant (but not scratch proof). It offers a high level of optical clarity and is 50 times more impact resistant than optical glass making it a very strong, distortion-free lens. These lenses are great for performance sports or leisure activities.
LENS COLOR AND COATINGS
Different lens colors add to the performance of the lens in different lighting conditions but do not contribute to increased UV protection. Different lens colors provide an array of different looks and cause your eyes to react differently to varying light making certain colors more suitable for certain activities and conditions.
These tints are color neutral and cut down on the intensity of light without changing colors, providing crisper contrast. The darker tints in this group are made to cut glare while reducing eye strain in brighter situations and enhancing depth perception. These lenses are good for activities where color can be important, like driving.
These lenses provide excellent contrast and depth perception; however, that comes as a trade for less protection from brightness. They work well in moderate to low light conditions because they increase contrast. They work well for overcast weather or snow and they are ideal for skiing, snowboarding and other snow sports. Rose lenses can be worn for long periods, as they cause very little eye strain over time.
MIRRORED OR FLASH COATING SUNGLASSES LENSES
This refers to a reflective film applied to the outside surfaces of some lenses that is highly desirable for people with high sensitivity to bright light and are looking for a lens that makes objects appear darker.
Julbo features unique frame designs across their sunglasses to eliminate fogging and increase customization to fit any head.
Cylindrical frames curve on the horizontal axis and are flat vertically wrapping around closer to your face. They have the potential to fog easier but thanks to Julbos suspended lens design on the cylindrical models, it eliminates that problem.
Spherical frames curve the lens vertically and horizontally creating more of a bubble look of the lens. The curve on the lens creates for a natural glare defense and a smaller surface for UV rays. The fit of the lens is further away from the face making for increased ventilation.
Proper ventilation is essential for endurance activities that require breathing hard and take place in hot or cold weather. Julbos suspended lens design, as seen in the Fury and Rush, increases airflow and ventilation around the lens to prevent moisture from getting trapped between your face and the lens. Other models feature multiple gaps between the frame and the lens for increased airflow as well.
FRAME SIZING AND FIT
When picking out your new sunglasses the first thing to look at is face size. Sunglass frame size should closely mirror face size - smaller frames work better with smaller faces and vice versa. Frame size refers to the actual fit of the sunglasses. For a more specific look at the size of a pair of glasses, look at the dimensions. This is often written as three consecutive numbers: (Eye Size) – (Bridge Size) – (Temple Size). Not every manufacturer provides this info, but we have tried to include in the specs of every pair of sunglasses we can on our site.
Eye Size: This is the horizontal measurement from the outside edge to the inside edge of one lens. Typical widths are 40–62 mm.
Bridge Size: The bridge is the distance between lenses. Typical widths are 14–24 mm.
Temple Size: This is the length of the temple piece, also known as the arm piece or earpiece. Typical lengths are 120–150 mm.
FRAME TECHNOLOGY AND FIT
When fitting sunglasses to your head, you want to make sure they fit sung to the front of your face and along the sides of your head. You want to be conscious of any uncomfortable pinch points where the frames come in contact with your head as it may grow more uncomfortable over time. The glasses should sit close to your face but not so close that your eyelashes touch the lens. Julbo’s frame design incorporates a handful of customizable features enabling you to fine tune the frame to perfectly fit your head.
JULBO’S FRAME TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE ON SELECT MODELS:
- CustomFIT Temples: The temples are designed for precise adjustment to guarantee perfect and long-lasting grip. No readjustment of grip required for each outing.
- 3D Nose Fit: Special nose-pads are adjustable in every direction so that glasses fit all nose shapes and ensure unbeatable hold in all conditions.
- Flex3 Temples: Temple core adjustable in 3 directions (lateral, vertical and length) via 3 specific adjustment areas (temples, curve and ears). Infinite adjustability for great grip and comfort, and compatible with all helmets on the market.